Being a foster or adoptive parent is an opportunity to make a profound difference in a child’s life. BCFS foster care and adoption services are currently available only in the San Antonio, Texas area.
Children served by BCFS in the foster care/adoption programs are:
- Children up to 17 years of age
- Individual children or sibling groups
- Under the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services custody
- Children in the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement
- Children who have been abused and/or neglected
- Children who have been drug and/or alcohol-exposed
- Basic and Moderate Level of Services
Basic requirements of foster / adoptive parents:
- Attend a Faith-Based Church
- At least 25 years of age
- A viable source of income
- Married for at least two years
- Complete the screening process
- Completion of pre-verification training requirements
- Demonstrate a nurturing parenting style
- Adequate bedroom space
- Willingness to work with case manager, implements a plan of care and maintains daily behavioral records.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to maintain daily documentation and be in compliance with state and agency standards
Responsibilities of foster / adoptive parents toward the program:
- Complete between 20-30 hours of annual training
- Work cooperatively with a case manager, program staff, and treatment team which includes participating in bi-monthly in-home meetings and transporting to visitations and appointments
- Provide input and assist in setting short and long term goals for the child(ren)
- Adhere to child-care regulations and procedures as defined by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS) and BCFS
- Maintain a working, professional relationship with TDFPS caseworkers, school authorities, children’s attorneys, therapists and BCFS staff
- Complete all necessary documentation
Responsibilities of foster / adoptive parents toward the child(ren):
- Provide room, board, clothing and all other personal care items
- Provide a reasonable allowance
- Provide nurturance and acceptance into the family
- Establish ground rules and fair limits
- Provide all transportation needs
- Implement and help develop individual treatment plans
- Spend positive time with and participate in quality activities with the child(ren)
Matching foster/adoptive parents with children:
The following will be considered and evaluated when determining which children will be placed in a particular foster or adoptive home:
- The parents’ preferences for the age and sex of the child.
- The parents’ preferences for what behaviors they are willing to work with.
- The ages, sexes, and needs of any current children living in the home.
- The amount of supervision parents are able to provide.
- The personalities and particular skills of parents.
Support services available through the foster/adoption programs of BCFS:
At BCFS, it is our mission to give children a new life with Christian care and guidance. We offer services that are both personal and dependable. Our foster care and adoption staff will work with you and your family providing regular in-home case management services. We work closely with TDFPS, ORR, schools, therapist, and medical personnel to make sure that you and the children are receiving the best support services available.
Other Support Services include:
- 24-Hour emergency on-call
- Monthly Support Group meetings with childcare provided
- Free training opportunities throughout the month
Trainings for foster/adoptive parents
BCFS’ mission is to provide our foster and adoptive parents with the tools necessary to meet the needs of the children placed in their home. The pre-service training curriculum includes:
- CPR/First Aid
- Crisis Intervention
- Corrective Teaching
- Record Keeping
- Medication/Universal Precautions
- Teaching Self-Control
- Staying Calm
- Separation and Attachment Policy and Procedures
- Consequences Reporting Child Abuse
- Child Effective Praise
- Fostering the Sexually Abused
- SIDS and Shaken Baby
Interested in becoming a foster / adoptive parent?
Orientation Meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., contact us to RSVP
4406 Piedras Drive West
San Antonio, TX 78228
|Miguel Ordonez, Foster Home Developer|
|Bertha Hinojosa, Foster Home Developer|